WatchCharts Forum

Part 1/2: Five Affordable Watches or One Expensive Watch?

Originally published at: https://watchcharts.com/wp/2020/05/13/part-1-2-five-affordable-watches-or-one-expensive-watch/

In a perfect world, we’d each have enough disposable income to buy whatever watches we pleased, wear them when we wanted to, and feel no buyer’s remorse about the exorbitant amount of money that ended up sitting unworn in watch boxes. But in the real world, that’s seldom the case, and we need to manage…

I have to agree with this. I have an expensive (for me) Omega, all in all i have about 4K into it. now I also have 9 other affordable watches (sub1k each) that I seem to find myself enjoying and wearing much more than my Omega. So to me, I can get more enjoyment from a bunch of cheaper watches than 1 more expensive watch. I think i just like variety and I dont like to be locked into just one thing.

Thanks for the comment Jack, can I ask what your affordables are?

I’ve recently picked up a Seamaster Diver 300M (the new version in black ceramic) and I have to admit I haven’t even reached for my watch box since then. I’m considering selling off my remaining affordables and maybe going for a two-Omega collection, picking up a Moonwatch once the latest version with the Cal 3861 master chronometer is released.

Thats funny, I recently (10 months ago) bought a late 2017, early 2018 Seamaster Professional Diver 300 ceramic (SMPc). the last generation with the lacquered dial, and although its stunning, and I Love it, I find that i hardly ever wear it for fear of damaging it… now i know full well thats a bunch of crap, and its all in my head, but thats how my mind works for some reason. Im a lover of Dive watches, and have owned over 120 of them in the past 6 years or so, so im very familliar with how rugged and resiliant they can be, yet for some reason i baby the hell out of my Omega.
so my 4k watch sits in the box, (I paid 3k for the watch, and 1k for a new crystal, new ceramic bezel, and Omega did a full movement and case/bracelet servive under warranty), the watch is in perfect new condition now) and I wear my affordable instead…
i wear my,
Magrette Moana Pacific Diver ii limited edition (posted for trade now)
Aevig Huldra version2
Helm Vanuatu version 4
Scurfa Diver One D1-500
Glycine Combat Sub GL0078
Seiko SSC021 Solar chrono Diver
Citizen BN0-151 eco drive diver
Casio AMW-330
Seiko 6309

I do feel guilty for not wearing my Omega though.