WatchCharts Forum

Rolex: Surprisingly Affordable

Originally published at: https://watchcharts.com/wp/2020/07/29/rolex-surprisingly-affordable

Rolex watches have a certain something about them. They are first and foremost tool watches, meant to tell the time reliably and accurately for generations, but unlike many other makers of robust timepieces a Rolex is also synonymous with luxury and success. Many of us aspire to one day own a Rolex, but this is…

1 Like

Thanks for this awesome write up Jason! as much as I know Rolex is not the be all end all of watch making, there is something about Rolex that speaks to me. I dont know if its the beautiful Oyster case, or the Oyster bracelet, or the mystique behind the brand, or what; But I knew since I started this collecting journey that I have to have one some day.
However what turns me off to Rolex, is the crappy way they inflate their prices, and artificially restrict their supply to create higher demand and exclusivity… maybe i feel that way because I cannot afford one? I dont know. I would love a used Sub, or a DJ, maybe an OP. Ill keep this wish on the back burner for a while longer.

1 Like

Thanks Jack!

Honestly it’s hard to blame Rolex for their pricing strategy, since it is clearly working very well for them. But $10K AUD as a cost of entry is a hard sell for those of us who know the market well enough to realize there are many better options out there for less money.

But when we start talking about cal 313x-era Air Kings and Explorer II’s the game changes. I’d totally buy that Air King 14000M listed in the article if I didn’t already own my dream GADA in the Omega 300M Diver.

1 Like

you bring up a good point, when it comes to the value of a watch, is it as much the $ you pay for it? or is it more in the perceived value? you brought up your Omega 300M diver, as I own one too, I have evaluated it against every other watch I have owned, and at the price point of the Seamaster, its hits a great balance of " price is equal to quality ". So to me that makes a great value.
Take a Rolex, to make it close take a Submariner, to put it against a Seamaster 300, is the Subs quality and value worth 5K more? do you get 5K (±) worth of added features, or additional quality or value? I’m not sure you do… to me Price is not equal to quality for the Submariner. Thats why i brought up their price game. Yes it works for them as they continue to sell at a fantastic rate, but there are brands that can come very close or even surpass the quality of a Rolex. (on a given apples to apples product line, this doesnt apply to every Rolex of course), at a much lower price point. I think Omega does a great job of this.
Im not hating on Rolex, in fact I actually Love Rolex, and still aim to own one some day. Im just saying, take the 2 300M dive watches, and compare the quality against their respective prices, and it just seems off to me.

1 Like

I agree, which is why I ended up buying the Seamaster as well. The Sub is a great watch, but not at the price you have to pay to get one. Any of the four models in this article though, when bought pre-owned, are worth their asking price IMO.

1 Like