WatchCharts Forum

Selling Price Inaccuracy

Hi All,

Just joined up. I go by the same handle on WUS. So I was just researching the Grand Seiko SBGX115, because I own one, and I like to track it’s value now and then. After clicking on a few datapoints, I found myself looking at the very same watch that I now own (same seller and pix as the WUS ad), except WatchCharts lists it as having sold for $445 more than I paid for it, which is about a 25% margin of error.

As the site seems to track prices by crawling forum data, this is not surprising to me, because lots of times the final selling price is not posted.

Thoughts?

Sorry I missed this message earlier. I appreciate your comment. This point has been brought up a few times in the past, it should probably go into our FAQ.

As you probably guessed, it’s impossible for us to know the final selling price if it was negotiated privately and not disclosed. What we take as the sold price is actually the last asking price before the watch was sold.

This means that it’s likely the market averages we list on our website are slightly inflated. By how much is debatable, as that would depend on the typical discount that is negotiated privately. Though in your case that was 25%, based on my experience I would estimate that is on the higher end.

I don’t think there’s any way to address this issue, but if you have any ideas I’d love to hear them. In any case, I hope you still find our metrics helpful as it consolidates the best publicly available information.